Monday, November 5, 2012

Just When You Get Feeling Good About Things

Wow, I've been in a rotten mood the last couple days.  There's been a lot going on around here, lots of residual stress floating around and settling in the corners, and of course, there's the weather all week.  But then, there's this pernicious thing that I think acts like an intensifier for the bad mood.  It's election season, and the TV's been full of all kinds of negative ads.

I watch TV only in the evenings, from the 5 o'clock news on usually, but in that time, most of the commercials are campaign commercials.  I never thought I'd look forward to an evening of Cellino and Barnes ads, or a slew of Fucillo commercials.  But with the onslaught of attack ads between Kathy Hochul and Chris Collins, that already puts a foul taste in the mouth (especially since I don't get to vote for either of those people, as they're from New York, and I live just inside PA).  Then just when I start feeling really thankful that I live in America, the SuperPAC ads for President come on, and holy cow, it makes it sound like this country is going straight down the crapper and it's all the president's fault.  Makes a person just want to pull on a flak jacket, helmet, and go hide under a table in the basement until this all ends.

I don't think things are perfect here in America.  There's a lot wrong.  But I think you find what you look for, and if you're looking for negative, you're going to find it.  If we're being fed a constant stream of these negative ads, it's hard to feel positive about the good there is around.  It reminds me of Ghostbusters II, when that slime is running under New York City, and it fed off bad feeling and in return magnified the bad feelings in people, so it was just a never-ending cycle of ugliness.

I don't think we need to call the Ghostbusters to fix all this feeding negativism that seems to be going around and making all of us ugly.  Maybe it wouldn't hurt.  Laughter can lift spirits.  I hope it's not too much to ask that after next Tuesday, when the lights go out on Election Day, that we all start being a little nicer, and start looking for the positive that's out there.  I know it is!  Bad moods are contagious.  Do you really want your mood to be influenced by some politician's attack ad on TV?  I don't.

C'mon.  Let's be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment