Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Exactly Where We Need to Be

Turns out, I'm exactly where I need to be, right now, in this moment.
Friends, sometimes I really kick myself for not making different decisions when I was younger.  I sit and think that if I'd only had more forethought, planning, and follow-through back in the day, I could be so much farther along today than I am.  I could have earned the "Most Likely to Succeed" superlative that I won in my senior year of high school.

I've been drawn into several conversations lately, though, that have shifted my perspective.  Maybe I'm not going to beat myself up so much for being such a late bloomer.  

"Life is like this whirlpool of lessons, and we keep getting the opportunity to learn from them until we do learn from them," one of my dear friends said, sort of out of the blue, one day while we were visiting.  

And this came hours after I was talking on the phone to another friend.  I had pulled our coaching lab into the weeds, as I often do.  I had given her some backstory.  It just all kind of barfed out of me like if you go to a fair and eat deep-fried butter then go on the Gravitron.  And I apologized for hauling us off into the conversational jingle-weeds when we both had things we needed to accomplish that day, and she laughed and said,

"All those times you told me about, you've been exactly where you needed to be to learn the lessons you needed to learn in order to take you to where you were supposed to go next.  And all those lessons brought you right here, right now, which is exactly where you need to be."

All of a sudden, I felt quite peaceful.  More peaceful than I have felt in a long, long time.  I am exactly where I'm supposed to be.  I wouldn't be where I am right now, if I'd made any decision differently. I wouldn't have learned the lessons I've learned, which, while they sometimes hurt in the moment, are certainly coming in handy right now.   

I'm not the only one who's exactly where she needs to be right now, in this moment, Friends.  All of us are where we are because we've followed a path of lessons learned.  Some of those lessons we've had the opportunity to learn more than once, until we really get it.  

But we are all right exactly where we need to be right now.  We all have some lessons to learn, but we are all exactly in the right places to learn those lessons we need.  And when we do, we get to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment