Monday, May 25, 2020

A Different Kind of Memorial Day

Quiet reflection at the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor
Memorial Day and all its tradition was always the kickoff to Summer.

It's a different kind of Memorial Day this year.  There are no parades and flags and marching bands.  No honor guards.  No ceremonies in cemeteries with lots of people turning out. 

It doesn't feel right, even if it's the right thing to do.  Maybe. 

I feel like this is opening the door for a big can of something to walk through and explode all over everything, but that is not my intent.  I just have some type of feeling around staying away from parades and ceremonies and twenty-one gun salutes on the day we remember the men and women who died to secure our freedom after weeks and months of raging debate over what freedom is, and have we lost it. What would those Fallen Brave have to say about all of this that's happened over the past few months?  I really don't know. 

I just know I get the most sinister feeling in my gut and my heart when I drive past one of those LED signs along the bigger highways admonishing motorists that "Face Coverings Are Mandatory In Public." 

Still, the focus today shouldn't be on divisiveness or partisanship or politics.  Today is a day we are meant to remember that our flag is not moved by the wind when it waves.  Our flag is moved by the last breath of every patriot who died to establish and protect our nation and our freedom. 
 
Although the parades and ceremonies are quieted for this year, and the crowds will stay away, Quarantine and COVID-19 can't prevent us from remembering the Fallen Brave.  Remember their sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment