Friday, May 22, 2020

Let's Do the Timewarp Again

Sunrise earlier this week.  No "dawned on me" pun intended, probably!  But let's run with it!
It dawned on me that this weekend is Memorial Day Weekend.  I mean, I've been aware, because there's always a calendar within my line of sight, it seems, and I can look on the date and see "Memorial Day" in little letters on the bottom of Monday's square on each grid, but it isn't really resonating with me. 

It feels like when I'd see a school calendar before Zoe went to school.  I'd see the dates and understand that they were significant to someone, but they didn't apply to me.  It's like the whole entire experience of the Calendar right now does not apply. 

There was always some excitement around Memorial Day Weekend.  There was the solemnity of Memorial Day ceremonies and the fun of seeing friends and family who'd come into town for the long weekend.  There was the anticipation of The Last Day of School, which was right around the corner. 

This year, it's felt like we've been stuck in March, all this time, just sliding around to various points in that month.  Even the weather has been squirrelier than usual, like it's been stuck in March, all this time, as well.  It's fitting for 2020.  And I think that when the more May-appropriate weather hits us next week, like the weather app says it will, it's going to feel like we timewarped.  Straight from mid-March to late-May. 

I have a sneaking hope that once the chronological calendar catches up with the COVIDCalendar, and we reach the spot where school would have been out for summer anyway, things might feel a little less odd in the day-to-day.  I'm hoping we'll all be able to have things to look forward to again.

In the meantime, we have this messed-up Memorial Day Weekend coming up, where nothing is normal, and the "New Normal" is anything but. 

No comments:

Post a Comment