Monday, April 13, 2020

A Celebration of Monday the Way It Used to Be

Without Mondays, Saturdays sort of lose their luster!


Back when I was in school, I used to Hate Mondays.  It was a way of life for me.  A philosophy.  Eventually I got over that.  Back when things used to be normal, Mondays were a chance for a little re-set every week. 

Now that we've had what amounts to a month of Saturday with no end in sight, I'm really missing the astringent reset that Mondays used to bring. They used to be like a little shot of apple cider vinegar after So Much Heavy Dessert.

Mondays are just like Saturday now, at least for me, and probably for you, too.  It's difficult to distinguish what day of the week it is.  The weeks are just a homogenous blur.  The days are all the same.  Today marks the one-month point since Friday, March 13th, when it was announced that schools and businesses here in PA would be closed for the following two weeks.  I remember flipping out about two weeks.  That seems so precious now.  And even though it's only been a month, that time feels as though it was maybe a year ago, and it also feels like it was Just Last Week.

Yeah.  I miss loving to hate Mondays, and then growing to love Mondays.  I miss the reset.  I miss the old routines.  There was certainty in the rhythm of the week.  With every day this quarantine thing goes on, I question more and more whether the people at the top making decisions really know what they're doing... and that's a lie.  I don't question whether.  I know they really don't know.  They're just making stuff up as they go along, just like the rest of us. 

I think we all knew it was never going to be just two weeks.  I think we all know we'll be lucky if we can be back to some semblance of normal life after two months.  The uncertainty and interminability is what really has me upset the most.  It's the worrying and wondering what New Normal is going to look like on the other side that has me trying to remember how to breathe.  Just like anyone else.  Just like everyone else, I'd dare to bet. 

Just like you, I'm trying to maintain my sense of humor, but like I mentioned before, even smart-assy girls get the dark blues, and am I ever drowning in some right now.  I'm working on putting the sparkle back into "Sparkling Isolation."  I really am, Friends.  Until I can find my way back there, though, I hope you'll stick with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment