Thursday, April 9, 2020

The Great Disruption


It's a new day!

This Whole Thing.  We're all in it together, Friends, and we're all sharing the same kinds of feelings about it, from what I gather.  It runs along a spectrum.  Same feelings, different intensities.  And that's okay.

I've break-danced all over the anxious, tense, uptight, pissed-off section of the spectrum.  Every so often, I'll spin on my head on Fear.

Maybe it was the blue sky, the BLUE SKY after days of thinking that yesterday was going to be rainy and miserable, but I had this overwhelming sense of wonder at all of this.  I stand in awe, in every sense of the word, as I think about the way Everything has come to a halt or near-halt.  We've hit pause.  It's been a disruption.  If I had a say in the way history books remember this time, I'd call it "The Great Disruption."

And I think what has a lot of us all keyed up is that in our hearts, we know things aren't ever going to be Normal again, the way they were before this all started.  I've mourned that fact for weeks now.  Normal wasn't really perfect, but it worked.  Might as well make the best of things if they work, and there really isn't a lot you can do about it.  Bloom where you're planted, make do.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Except, in allllll the time I've had to Think (and even for me, it's been Lots of Time! Normal wasn't really where it was at, was it?  A lot of things didn't work.  A lot of our Normal Lives were a giant, fiery shit-show, and we just took it for granted that they had to stay that way because that's how they've always been.  If I got started on all the specific things that we've just made do with,  collectively, because they were too big and complex to know where to even start to fixing, I could go on for days, and you could, too, Friends.  And we'd get all up in a whole big argument about it all, because we'd focus on the little nit-picky things and forget that we wanted to change the big picture.

So.  What I offer today, right now, while we're all on Pause, is that this Great Disruption is a Great Opportunity.  There are a zillion lessons to be learned from All This.  Big and small.  Two months ago, we could all tensely agree that while things weren't exactly broken, they weren't exactly not broken, either.  Now that everything's stopped and we have time to really look at them, I think we can all agree that welp, Babies, it's broken now!  All of it!  And why, if we didn't like the way things were Before, would we bust our butts to build it all back up like this Great Pause, this Great Disruption never happened?

This is a Great Opportunity for some out-of-the-box thinking!  We've had to do things we thought were impossible, two months ago.  Things have shattered and fallen away, leaving brand new vantage points.  It's already all broken and messy and we have to build our world back anyway.  Would we all be willing to let go of the way things used to be and build it all back in a way that works better for the way we live now?  We can keep the parts of the past that worked, because there was a lot of good.  But we can upgrade the crummy stuff that we all put up with just because to Something Better.

It's hard to let go, even when we know it wasn't working.  But we're all in this together.  We all have each other.  I'm still a little bit afraid, because I'm as resistant to change as the next gal.  But it's also really exciting to think that we can cast our baggage to the four winds and begin anew!

No comments:

Post a Comment